Sunday, November 30, 2014

Bridging the gap between surplus and need



When I was younger like a lot of children, I wanted to be a doctor. Years later, I decided to take another path because I would not be able to stand the sight of too much blood… However, I wanted to find a way to work with healthcare organizations. So now I am interested in some activities related to healthcare (which does not include pools of blood).

I recently had the opportunity to volunteer with a great organization that a lot of people don’t know about and this is the main purpose of this article: spread the word about Medshare.

Did you know that U.S hospitals generate more than two million tons of medical waste each year?  On the other side, some surgeons in developing countries use the same gloves for different patients, washing them until they tear. The World Health Organization estimates that more than 10 children under the age of five die in the developing world due to inadequate medical care. This is the reason why I want to talk about Medshare.


Medshare is a non-profit organization with the mission of bridging the gap between surplus and need of medical supplies around the world. To date, the Southeast Region in partnership with local hospitals have shipped 670 containers of medical supplies and equipment in countries in need. However as you can guess the need is constant, and even increasing especially in Africa with the spread of Ebola.


Whoever you are, you can participate in making a better world. Volunteers are always in need in the different chapters (San Leandro CA, Decatur GA, and Secaucus NJ). Donors are welcomed to support the mission through medical or financial donations. 

If you are interested in volunteering, donating, or learning more about the mission of Medhare, here is the website of the organization. You can also find the requirements to be a recipient. Medshare provides supplies to non-profit organizations only. 

Take a look at some pictures of my first day with this amazing organization. I found out that my country is also a recipient of medical supplies. 











Volunteers at work ...





No comments:

Post a Comment